If you’re in the Decatur, Georgia area you’ve driven by it a million times – you know that giant garage door marked with a glowing-hot “X”? And, if you’re like me, you’ve wondered exactly what goes on behind it.
I thought I might find something worth of an “X” rating (you know what I mean), and when I figured out this was the home of The Sweatbox Decatur, I was expecting just-another-workout-place.
Wrong, wrong, wrong, y’all.
Instead, what I found was The Sweatbox Decatur. It’s different from the moment you set foot in the (regular-size) door, which reminds you to check your excuses there.
Here are 5 of my favorite ways The Sweatbox is different – breaking barriers and shattering assumptions:
- It looks different. Outside and inside, this is obviously a place you come to “do the work.” It has everything you need, and it’s still minimal. (See the first clip below, at 0:07.)
- It’s creative. How many ways can you think of to use a milk crate, a two-by-four, or a PVC pipe in your workout? The Sweatbox will show you. (See first clip, at 2:21.)
- You’re not in it alone. Sure, you’ll get the space you need when you’re in your “zone,” but the trainers are keeping a close eye on you. And the other clients are part of your team – no one gets left behind here. (See the second clip below, at 3:14.)
- It’s for EVERYbody. You don’t have to be an Ironman already to work out here – but you might be one after, and you’ll probably train with a few. The Sweatbox trainers are experts in adapting exercise to work for everyone from beginners to elite athletes. They’re going to push you TO your limit, but never past it into the danger zone. (Second clip, 3:01.)
- It’s rowdy. These people laugh a damn lot! Observing a group workout was more like watching a bunch of friends get together where there just happened to be giant tires and iron weights. It was nothing like a typical class at Gym-O-Rama . (See first clip, at 2:14.)
Here’s the first clip: The Sweatbox Workout
Here are 5 things you can learn from these reels – even if you’re outside Atlanta and can’t make it to The Sweatbox:
- You don’t need a gym to work out. (See the second clip, at 0:37.)
- You can get past your fear – and turn it into confidence instead. (See second clip, at 2:43.)
- Exercise does as much to tone up your mental state as it does for your outer body. (See second clip, at 2:19.)
- Working out with someone more experienced doesn’t have to make you feel bad. It can be motivating to notice they have to stop and catch their breath sometimes, too! (Second clip, 1:00.) And working out WITH your trainer is a whole new dynamic that can help you get to your own next level. (Second clip, 3:50.)
- It should be FUN! You might hate it while you’re doing it, but you should be able to look back and know you enjoyed it. Muhammad Ali once said “I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.’” (See both clips, all.)
Here’s the second clip: The Sweatbox Client Reflections
So, what’s stopping you? Get over to The Sweatbox now, while they’re offering a free one-month membership to ClickAClass.com readers.
And if you’re outside Atlanta, take a little bit of the Sweatbox attitude with you wherever you work out: ALL SWEAT, NO REGRET.