Big difference, right? Want to know how he got there? Read on, in this guest post from Todd Hancock, CFT at www.MODOFitness.com.
Slow-go Cardio is NOT the way to go
Do you want to lose fat and save time? Routinely, we hear from new members that losing fat and getting into shape are their two main goals. We do help them achieve these goals and in doing so we give them back 2-3 hours of time each week. That’s right, reach your goal in less time than you’d imagine and make it permanent. What would you do with 2 or 3 extra hours per week?
Have your attention yet? This post will explain why MODO Fitness trains the way we do — and why you should too.
I believe there should be a beginner’s course in every gym to educate people on the proper way to exercise and design a program that is right for them but $40 a month gets you a card to swipe at the door but not much else in most gyms. You should invest in yourself by hiring a trainer from time to time to insure you are on the right program and working safely leading to a healthier and happier fitness program. Three sets of ten with free weights is not right for everyone, nor is one hour on a treadmill or elliptical. To get in shape and stay fit, it takes a change in diet and variations in your exercise program. 6-packs are made in the kitchen. Unfortunately, over the last few years I’ve seen that in general, many people are still stuck doing long duration, low-intensity cardiovascular exercise to lose weight and get fit— yikes!
Here’s the deal: if you’re looking to achieve maximal benefit from the time you put into your workouts, long duration “slow-go” cardio is NOT the way to go, and for many reasons. Here is a list of why slow-go does not work put together by another trainer and I couldn’t agree with it more.
Top 5 reasons why slow-go cardio takes too long and people don’t see results.
1. Minimal calories burned — 45 minutes on the treadmill may burn a whopping 300 calories if you’re lucky, the equivalent of ONE TENTH of a pound of fat. Exercise ten hours a week and you might just lose a pound! An interval training session can deliver upwards of 750 calories in the same period of time.
Which brings us to the next point:
2. Way too much time involved — I don’t know about you, but I don’t have hours and hours of my time to pour into working out each week. In fact, very rarely do I ever a couple hours of exercise weekly, and you know what? That’s ALL you need. In fact, research has shown that anything more than 90 mins a week may be detrimental!
Beyond that, slow-go cardio is:
3. BORING as heck — Sitting on an exercise bike staring at the wall in front of me for 45-60 minutes? No thanks, I’ll take 40 minutes of exercise 4 days a week instead.
But perhaps even worse is the fact that slow-go cardio provides:
4. No prolonged metabolic benefit — Did you know that with higher intensity exercise it is possible to continue to burn calories for up to 48 hours post workout? It’s true. It’s often referred to as the after-burn effect. But you know what else is true? Long duration, low intensity cardio provides virtually NO prolonged elevation in metabolism. In fact, with slow-go cardio, metabolism returns to baseline almost IMMEDIATELY following the exercise session.
And finally, the reason that trumps all the others:
5. Minimal fat loss — Minimal calories burned during the session and virtually no additional calories burned afterward = minimal, if any fat loss results. And let’s be honest, the only reason anyone is doing cardio is for the “result”.
In closing if slow-go cardio isn’t a great solution, what is? Tabata and High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) are the best ways to get fit, shred fat and give you a more permanent result than anything you can do. Mix it up and challenge yourself to try something new next month. We specialize in timed training and deliver results that will last for a lifetime with less time and effort. If you are stuck in a rut or ready to get fit fast, raise the intensity and lower the time of your workouts. When done correctly, you will shed fat, save time and live the healthy life you deserve to live.
If you have any questions or are interested in a 3 week trial for $47? Go to www.modofitness.com and sign up today!
Committed to your success,
At MODO Fitness we specialize in weight-free workouts that get results fast. Ask how to get your $47 trial started. By empowering the small muscle groups you build long, lean muscles leaving your body looking more toned and fit in half the time of other types of workouts.